Between the Cathedral of Learning and
Heinz Chapel is a sidewalk called the Varsity Walk, where the names of
outstanding Pitt student-athletes are embedded in the stones.
The Varsity Walk was conceived in 1950. The names of new members are added each year.
The hand-carved stones were first presented as the Athletic
Committee Award and the Charles C. Hartwig Award. The Athletic Committee
recognized the best athlete from any sport. The Charles Hartwig Award
was given to the senior athlete who promoted and
interests of Pitt athletics, in honor of the 1934 All-American tight
end. In 1971, the award’s names were changed to Panther and Blue-Gold
Today, the Panther Award is
presented to the graduating senior-athlete who has promoted Pittsburgh
athletics through his/her outstanding athletic achievement. The
Blue-Gold Award is given to the seniors who best represent the
student-athlete ideal based on academic scholarship, athletic
achievement, leadership qualities, and citizenship.