Gloria Richardson (1922- ) •


Gloria Richardson and protestors facing National Guard troops, Cambridge, Maryland, ca. 1963

Courtesy National Museum of African American History and Culture (2012.169.9)

Civil Rights activist Gloria Hayes Richardson was born Gloria St. Clair Hayes on May 6, 1922 in Baltimore, Maryland to parents John and Mabel Hayes.  During the Great Depression her parents moved the family to Cambridge, Maryland, the home of Mabel Hayes.  Young Gloria grew up in a privileged environment.  Her grandfather, Herbert M. St. Clair, was one of the town’s wealthiest citizens.  He owned numerous properties in the city’s Second Ward which included a funeral parlor, grocery store and butcher shop.  He was also the sole African American member of the Cambridge City Council through most of the early 20th Century.

Hayes attended Howard University in Washington at the age of 16 and graduated in 1942 with a degree in sociology.  After Howard, she worked as a civil servant for the federal government in World War II-era Washington, D.C. but returned to Cambridge after the war.  Despite her grandfather’s political and economic influence, the Maryland Department of Social Services, for example, refused to hire Hayes or any other black social workers.  Gloria Hayes married local school teacher Harry Richardson in 1948 and raised a family for the next thirteen years.

When the civil rights movement came to Cambridge in 1961 in the form of Freedom Riders, the town was thoroughly segregated and the African American unemployment rate was 40%.  Gloria Richardson’s teenage daughter, Donna, became involved with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee’s (SNCC) effort to desegregate public accommodations.  Richardson, however, refused to commit herself to non-violence as a protest tactic.

When the SNCC-led protests faltered in 1962, Richardson and other parents created the Cambridge Nonviolent Action Committee (CNAC) which became the only adult-led SNCC affiliate in the civil rights organization’s history.  CNAC enlarged the scope of grievances to include housing and employment discrimination and inadequate health care.  Richardson was selected to lead CNAC.

This Richardson-led effort differed from most other civil rights campaigns of the era.  It took place in a border state rather than the Deep South.  It addressed a much wider array of issues rather than the one or two that motivated other campaigns.  Since Richardson and her followers refused to commit to non-violence as a philosophy or a tactic, CNAC protests were far more violent and confrontational.  Protests in 1963, for example, prompted Maryland Governor J. Millard Tawes to send in the Maryland National Guard.  The Guard remained in the city, which was effectively under martial law, for nearly a year.  The Cambridge Movement also drew the attention of U.S. Attorney General Bobby Kennedy who unsuccessfully attempted to broker an agreement between Cambridge’s white political leaders and Richardson’s CNAC.

By the summer of 1964 Richardson resigned from the Cambridge Nonviolent Action Committee citing her exhaustion from leading nearly two years of continuous demonstrations.  Richardson, who had divorced Harry Richardson in the late 1950s, married freelance photographer Frank Dandridge.  The couple moved to New York City with Richardson’s younger daughter, Tamara.

Although she maintained ties with Cambridge and with the local movement, Gloria Richardson never lived in Cambridge again.

Do you find this information helpful? A small donation would help us keep this accessible to all. Forego a bottle of soda and donate its cost to us for the information you just learned, and feel good about helping to make it available to everyone!

Cite this article in APA format:

Anderson, E. (2007, March 14)

Gloria Richardson (1922- )

. Retrieved from

Source of the author’s information:

Peter Levy, Civil War on Race Street: The Civil Rights Movement in
Cambridge, Maryland
(Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 2003);
Jeff Kisseloff, Generation on Fire: Voices of Protest from the 1960s:
An Oral History
(Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 2007);


Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply